|This mysterious low thatched building with massive
timber framework was once known as the 'The Hospice of St Mary Magdalen' or
'Lepers Hospital' however it is now a private residence having been renamed
At one end of the
property there is a huge Inglenook fireplace with finely tooled stone sides, an
adjustable cauldron and a large brick bread oven.
The old nail studded
door is believed to be the old porch door of the Church sold by the
Churchwardens in 1764 for 2 shillings.
Hospice of St Mary Magdalen.
one corner of the building can be seen a ghoulish stone carving of what appears
to be that of a dying man.
|It is recorded that there was a Leper Hospital in
Christchurch, the owners of which owned land and a cottage at Holdenhurst
during the reign of Edward III - it is thought that centuries ago poor souls
stricken with the 'pox' were brought from 'Poxdown' (Pokesdown) for treatment
at the then named 'Hospice of St Mary Magdalen'.Hospice of St Mary